Thursday, December 5, 2013

Ramblings: Korea

SPRING

SUMMER

AUTUMN

The pictures above were taken from the bus stop outside of my apartment, during different times of the year. I lived in Korea for one year of my life and as much as I've learned about Korea, during this time I learned about myself as well. When everything that is home and familiar is gone you notice things about yourself-- the things that change and the things that stay the same.

In attempts to consolidate the past 12 months (or maybe just as my way to say goodbye and thank you to it all), I am writing 3 things that living in Busan has taught me.


1. Fake it until you become it. Amy Cuddy says this in her TED Talk. I've returned to that video and her words over and over again. The more often we explore the limits of our capabilites, the more skillful we become. This is the experience I had over and over again-- working at Chungdham, teaching yoga, and even riding my bike. These were all reatively new to me before arriving in Korea. I had so many stressful classes, failed attempts, and good crying sessions along the way. It took a long time to become more comfortable and I know I still have a lot to learn. But when I look back from where I started to now, I know I've made progress. There's no substitute for experience. You have to just try and give yourself a chance. You have to be okay with failures and imperfection. Things come with time.

2. Travel your own trail. I borrowed this phrase from Anne :) For me, it means listening to my own intuition. Following my own needs, rather than what this mad world says I should want or need. It means spending more time being who I am, rather than who I think I should be. Sometimes that meant staying in or saying no to dinner invitations. For me, it mean slowing down, limiting choices, and choosing carefully how to spend my time and energy.

3. Haters gonna hate. I'm learning not to let people's judgments get in the way of how I value myself. Shakespeare said "there is nothing good or bad, but thinking makes it so." If people are looking for something to complain or dislike, they will find it.  Just as people who are looking for love and beauty will find it as well. You can't take anything personally. You can't make people think a certain way about you. You can't please everyone all the time. You can be kind whenever possible (it's always possible). But you can't make people feel love or happiness, because we each create that for ourselves.


So these ideas aren't new or groundbreaking, but they are part of my journey to becoming the person I am meant to be. Thank you so much Busan. I'm learning. And may it always be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment