Friday, March 28, 2014

Rishikesh Recommended Yoga Classes

During my first week in Rishikesh I had the experience of taking some amazing yoga classes! These are my top three recommendations. You can click the link for their website.

Surrender's class is not advertised anywhere on guidebooks or advertisements around the city. Yogis learn about him solely through referral, and even then his classes are full to the brim. Surrinder's approach to teaching is both gentle and powerful. His adjustments and verbal cues are subtle but so profound, which allows for the student to be their own teacher. He also conducts class in a way that connects the physical asanas to the mental and spiritual awareness.  I left his classes feeling very positive and inspired.

I've taken both the led and Mysore style Ashtanga classes here. The teacher is no nonsense and an expert at hands on adjustments (my favorite part about this class). I  just learned that Ashtanga Yoga was created for the Warrior Class in India for battle training! This class IS quite challenging, but you are never asked to go beyond your limit. At the end of each class, I leave feeling empowered and amazed at what the human body is capable of! I still take a class here on my free Sundays.


The practice room is right on Mama Ganges!

3. Iyengar with Ashish
This class was heavily focused on proper alignment and extremely informative.  During the two hours we focused on 5-7 poses in great detail, learning by teacher/student demonstrations and with the use of props. I brought a pen and notebook to every class! Although I wouldn't recommend this class for beginners since the amount of detail being presented, it is certainly beneficial to supplement a yoga practice. Ashish is extremely knowledgeable and knows how to crack a joke that pokes at the ego :)!

2 comments:

  1. Great Post . Keep Posting. Yoga is the best way to make our body fit and we should perform regularly. Best way to meditation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hatha yoga are very useful for fitness, Many yoga center are providing yoga courses like 200 Hour hatha Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh, 100 Hour hatha Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh, Weekly etc.

    ReplyDelete