Saturday, May 11, 2013

Fukuoka, Japan | Day 1

It was just by happenstance that my Friday classes were canceled.  For the first time, (and quite possibly the only time) I was able to have a three day weekend.  I found out on a Monday, booked my tickets on Wednesday, and was on a plane flight to Japan on Friday.  My first real solo travel experience couldn't have been better.

I first arrived late afternoon in Fukuoka.  I stayed at a super new, clean, centrally located hostel in Fukuoka's   downtown area, Nakasu.

Hana Hostel, Fukuoka

This place seriously exceeded my expectations!

Later that evening, I met up with somecouchsurfing friends and we went out to dinner. One of my friends took us to his favorite ramen place. It was love at first bite. This would be the first of several ramen meals I ate during my three day stay. 


I still dream of this bowl of soup.



That night, we walked around the Tenjin core area, stopping at random bars and dance clubs-- meeting other people and travelers. We shared stories and laughed, during our brief encounter in this world.






The next morning, I rented a bike from the hostel and set out to explore the city.  The side walks were huge, perfect for biking through. The architecture and the people were beautiful.  I don't know how to describe it other than simply harmonious.





And my favorite tree, the Japanese Maple, was everywhere!

My first destination was Ohori and Maizuru Park to check out the lake, art museum, tea garden, and castle ruins. First off, let me introduce my ride for the weekend:

This weekend was the MOST I have ever ridden in a bike. EVER.

As I made my way to the lake area, I turned around the corner and my breath dropped.  This is what I saw:


Half way around the world I found Lake Merrit's doppleganger. This pond in Japan looks uncannily similar to the lake I used to live by, Lake Merrit in Oakland, California.  I used to go on runs, walks, or just sit by Lake Merritt.  Lake Merritt greeted me every morning through the view from my apartment windows. I literally stood in shock for minutes looking at this twin lake in Japan, as waves of memories and moments passed through me. I really missed home.




When I was ready, I first went to the Fukuoka City Art Museum.  Here are some highlight pictures:


Statues of women figures decorated the courtyard of the Art Museum

... and then also just a squash. Haha.

Inside the museum were number of exhibits both contemporary and traditional Korean art. There were paintings, sculptures, chalk art exhibit, wood carvings, and more. I was most surprised to see they had pieces by Miro, Dali, and Monet here as well (though photos weren't allowed in the exhibit). The museum was small, perfect to spend a couple of hours walking through.

One of my favorite pieces.  It was like a collage... each smaller painting had it's own theme.


There was also an exhibit on wall scrolls.

Stopping for some coffee before I head on.


Next stop was the Japanese Garden, located right next to the museum. I spent a good time sitting here writing in my journal and drawing.






My final destination at the park was the Fukuoka Castle Ruins, which was originally built in the 17th century and was once the largest castle grounds in Japan.






As I made my way back to the hostel, I stumbled upon a shrine and so I took a peek. I really enjoy the ease of spontaneity when traveling alone.  This is Kushida Shrine.











That evening I went out to Hakata Station for window shopping and eating.

Parked my bike under a bridge.  Fukuoka is the most bike friendly city I've ever been to.  

Tons of stores and boutiques to look at. I found some puppies made out of flowers.

Dinner at a random restaurant.

This was sort of like chow mein with octopus balls. YUM!

This pretty much ended my first night there. I was so excited I had another full day of Japan ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment