Friday, March 8, 2013

Nampo-dong Date Part I: Texas Street

Recently, I went on a lovely date with myself. I treated myself to a Saturday exploring the Nampo-dong area of Busan. With no plan whatsoever, I put on my favorite outfit, packed my bag (my journal, a book, & camera), and walked out my door.

My first stop was Texas Street near Busan Station. I heard that there were some authentic Filipino restaurants there, so I went to check it out for my morning meal.


At Busan Station: This octopus-tron is ready to fight!

Across the street from Busan Station is the entrance to Foreigners' Shopping street, better known as Texas Street. And so, I wandered the alleyways and roads in search of some food of my homeland. Here's a little info on the area:


"Texas Street may strike you as a strange name for the small lane opposite Busan Station filled with Filipino, Russian, and Uzbek joints. The name originated from the American soldiers who once frequented this notorious district. Since the U.S. military closed its Busan facilities, the GIs have largely been replaced by Russian sailors. By night, the booze and bargirls remain, but it’s not all debauchery. Texas Street also serves as a commercial district for local residents from the Philippines, Russia, and Uzbekistan, who have established a number of authentic eateries." - B.W.



Flags welcoming you to Texas Street

colors!

Chinatown Area

Do you see the emperor looking over his fallen castle?


There was construction going on all over the place!


After walking up and down numerous roads and alleyways, I finally found a section with nondescript Filipino eateries. I walked into the first one that was open, greeted the women there, and asked "ano ang sarap dito?" The older woman pointed to the sign of various breakfast dishes: tapsilog... adosilog... tocilog... ah, of course I choose you: longsilog.

ito lola.

table of one. table of fun.

Success! My humble and comforting meal of longganisa, fried egg, and garlic rice.

Living in Oakland or even Berkeley, I never sought out Filipino food.  But here it brings me a feeling of ease and simple joy from the days of my childhood.  I will certainly go back to eat at other Filipino restaurants in the area and report back on my findings!


Directions to Texas Street
From Busan Station take Exit 7.  Turn left at the Family Mart and Texas Street will be the first right.

No comments:

Post a Comment