Friday, March 1, 2013

Gwangali: Hair cuts, Bridges, and Curry

This week I had my first haircut since I've arrived.  I was recommended Ark in Geumyeonsan. It was a lovely experience.

Making my way to the salon, I got lost so I called the owner and stylist Young Na.  He got in his car and picked my up from the subway station himself!  The entire time, he was super kind and spent time talking to me about my hair and making sure I felt comfortable.

Young Na spent three years abroad studying hair styling in London, so he speaks English very fluently and is knowledgeable about different hair types.  In fact, 90% of his clients are foreigners, which are brought to him mainly by word of mouth.  And instead of "clients", he calls everyone his "friends".  I am certainly going back here again.


Young Na's design studio, which includes a cafe and rooftop pool.


After my haircut I went exploring around the area.  I ate lunch at a curry restaurant situated by the beach.  

Any restaurant that greets me with Beetle's lyrics is okay in my book.

View of the ocean at my table.

Inside the restaurant

You can choose the level of spiciness


Donkatsu Curry with Rice

 Then I went for a walk by the beach.  Winter is still ending now, so there weren't that many people around.

On the right is Diamond Bridge, which lights up at night.


oh hai, ocean.


Directions

[To Ark Hair Salon] From Geumnyeonsan station take Exit 6, walk straight ahead and take a right at the first big intersection (you will see an Angel-In-Us Coffee shop at the corner).  Walk about 150 meters up and around the bend.  The salon will be on your right.

[To Gwangalli Beach]  I would recommend taking the metro to Geumnyeonsan station, which makes for a more enjoyable way to the beach.  Take take the elevator (near Exit 3) to the street level and turn immediately left.  Follow the cobbled street towards the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment