Saturday, March 9, 2013

Nampo-dong Date Part II: Gamcheon Art Village

Destination two on my date day was Gamcheon Art Village, also known as Taegeuk Village. After a short ride on the subway and a winding bus ride up a mountain, I made it to the entrance of this lost-in-time town.


Taegeuk Culture Village of Gamcheon started off as a humble makeshift abode for refugees who fled their homes during the Korean War. About 800 shacks were built along the mountainside, housing about 4,000 people.  The majority of those people were followers of the Taeguk religion, a religion that believes that the Taeguk (yin and yang symbol) represents the true meaning of life and the universe.

Over time the buildings have changed from wooden shacks to concrete blocks and few residents today are believers of the religion.  The town remains picturesque and ephemeral with its winding streets, narrow alleyways & nooks, and brightly colored Lego-like buildings.

In recent years, Gamcheon Village was re-conceived as a historic and scenic landmark.  Professional art installations and projects were created throughout the town, some even with the assistance of the residences. (info from Seoul Magazine)  







Entering the town felt as if I had just stepped into a children's book.  After some time aimlessly wandering the streets and alleys, I stumbled upon the Community Center.  For about 2,000 won you could buy a map of the area, that also doubled as a passport. At several art sites there are stamps that you collect on the map's stamp page. If you collect all the stamps, they give you a postcard or picture at the end. It is basically like a treasure hunt!


Art installations at the Community Center

ahjussi


Now armed with a map (entirely in Korean), I made my way to the designated route and realized something magical! There were fish leading the way. So cool.



The streets were adorned with paintings, sculptures, and surprises.  There were several houses turned into art installations some with various themes such as peace, darkness, or a building made to look like a mug of tea.


First stamp on my "passport"

inside the House of Peace, the mind is still...

Follow the fish



Voici mon secret. Il est tres simple: On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur.
L'essentiel est invisible pour lex yeux.

I concur with the sentiment.


Making my way around the streets I ended my journey at the main entrance.  I realized I had been traveling backwards the entire time! No matter, reaching the beginning was like finding the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow. The entrance was alive and vibrant with people and beauty.



I bought myself a hoddak and green tea latte. Then I sat on a roof covered in AstroTurf admiring the view.



 I think the sign says "Do not jump!"

Though the village itself is large, I would guess that all of the major art installations could be seen within an hour or so. I preferred to take my time meandering and biding, so I didn't even explore all of the area. But I'm sure this won't be the last time I visit this groovy place.

Before boarding the bus back, I took a detour at the elementary school across the street of the Gamcheon Village entrance.

The cute graffiti was beckoning me to follow it.

an elementary school


seesaw for one. seesaw not fun.

The playground was barren, quiet, and overlooked the Gamcheon houses.  The wind started to pick up as I sat on top of the slide again taking in the view, for the last time.


I went down the slide, down the mountain, and onward to my next destination.



Directions to Gamcheon Art Village
From Toseong station, take Exit 8.  Continue straight out, following the street around the corner to the right. Up the road and across the street you will see the bus stop in front of the Busan Cancer Center.  Take the mini bus 2-2 to Gamcheong Elementary School (감천초등학교).

2 comments:

  1. Hello!~ Me and my friend will be going to Busan next year and I came across you blog post while researching. First of all your pictures are gorgeous and it really enticed me to drop by Gamcheon Art Village. Second are there any tips you can give us? It's my first time in South Korea. Lastly thank you for your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elle! Sorry it's taken me so long to respond, I've been traveling at the moment. Are you already in Busan? You're going to love it. I already miss all of the lovely places and opportunities. For more tips, you can check out my post for Busan newbies! Here:

      http://soul-in-a-fishbowl.blogspot.in/2013/08/helpful-website-for-busan-newbies.html

      I really suggest joining a group on facebook that shares similar interest like hiking or yoga. It's a great way to meet people. Enjoy!

      Delete