Sunday, March 10, 2013

Nampo-dong Date Day Part III: Jagalchi Fish Market & PIFF Square

One subway stop over from Toseong station and I was at my next destination: Jagalchi Fish Market, Korea's largest seafood market. The fish market is bizarre aquarium of sorts where you can marvel at all the different kinds of sea life... and then eat them.  

There were endless rows of fish, sea snails, and other oceanic invertebrates. On the second floor of the main market building were eateries where you could purchase cheap fresh sashmi and other seafood dishes.  One of the buildings adjacent was devoted entirely to the selling of dried seafood products. Outside you could watch ajumas cleaning the catch of the day or purchase freshly fried fish to eat. There is just a lot of sea creatures.

one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish

Inside the main market building

countless types of sea snails

in the dried fish building

clams outside


Jagalchi Market is located next to the harbor, where people can be seen snaping pictures of the seagulls or watching random harbor performances.  









I didn't stay for dinner, I had plans for eating at my last stop of the day: PIFF Square. PIFF Square is really close to Jagalchi.  From the fish market, I spotted the distinct yellow and red umbrellas of the food vendors and made my way over.

PIFF stands for the Pusan International Film Festival one of the most significant Asian film festivals (like Cannes, but in Asia).  In a three-block span there are several large movie theaters.  Even though there was no film festival, the area was busy with arcades, cafes, restaurants, and shopping. And of course, a lot of street food (which I will describe in more detail on a later blog post ^^).

PIFF Square

All the umbrellas are different street food vendors

A typical kimbap food stand

And of course, I had to get my favorite hoddak.

After dinner I ended my day on the rooftop of the Lotte Shopping center, taking in the view of the city I had just spent the day in.




Directions to Jagalchi
From Jagalchi station, take Exit 10.  Walk straight out until you see the market gate on your right. Follow the street until the end.

Directions to PIFF Square
From Jagalchi station, take Exit 7.  Cross the street and PIFF Square will be on your left. Look for the yellow and red umbrellas selling delicious street goodies.



No comments:

Post a Comment