Wednesday, January 29, 2014

First Day in Chiang Mai


The street I stayed at during my first week in Thailand!

I spent my first full day in Chiang Mai getting my bearings around the city. I would be spending the next three weeks here, taking a couple of Thai Massage courses. I rented a bike (which is 50 Bhat or 1.80 USD per day) and rode around the city. 

First stop, FOOD.

For breakfast I ate at a local restaurant by where I was staying, very much away from the main tourist area. I was surprised to find that a full meal came out to be only 30 Bhat or 1 USD! The cost of living here is quite inexpensive, and well worth the quality!

The next stop was getting my first Thai Massage.  There was a blind massage school nearby, so I decided to go there. It was particularly difficult communicating, since all of the staff were blind and very few spoke English. But everyone was nonetheless so kind and recieving the massage was GREAT! It felt as if I went through a yoga class, but didn't have to do anything. Thai massage is yoga for the lazy!

The front of the blind massage school.



Next I took my bike to Tha Pae Gate, in the old city.  I bumped into the two other couchsurfers I was staying with, Shine and Frida from China.

Shine and Frida, decked out in Thai gear!

The wall

For lunch, I found an small market. Here are some pictures of some of the fresh and delicious products and produce.











No comments:

Post a Comment