Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Receiving

Each time I have received a card or a letter from loved ones, I have been literally brought to tears. The process of receiving goes like this: 

I sit down with the envelope and clear my table of any distractions.  I hold the envelope in my hands and imagine the sender holding it in their hands.  I open the contents slowly and deliberately.  I read and look upon the papers several times over and my heart swells up. Each letter is a piece of home. It is a piece of love. At that moment I am humbled and grateful. I am reminded that I've made it this far because I've been shown tremendous kindness and generosity from others. I hug the letter close to my chest before tucking it away in a very special place.

You can imagine the joy I felt receiving my first package while here in Korea. It was from John and the contents of the gift were little pieces of everything that reminded me of home. I couldn't have asked for more thoughtful and perfect surprise.




First, there was cooking oil from Trader Joe's. Upon seeing this, I actually squealed with delight! I seriously thought I wouldn't hold a jar of coconut oil for a whole year. Then, there was a bag of relaxing tea from my favorite herb store in Berkeley.  


Then there was chocolate, a mix CD of new music, and a paint set. 
Oh, how I used to spend my days in that apartment!



Next, there was a sweater to stay warm in and to remind me to play video games once in a while. 
(Wargaming.net is the company John works for)



And randomness.


 ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ 

There is power in the post office.

No comments:

Post a Comment