Saturday, December 29, 2012

Under the Subway Tracks



One weekend, I decided to explore the area around Pusan National University (PNU) which is a 10 minute walk from my apartment.  Like the streets surrounding many college campuses- there is lots to see, eat, and do.  I spent most of the day perusing through clothing & stationary stores and sitting in cafes.

As I was about to get on the subway to head back home, I heard music coming from near the station.  Beneath the elevated subway track was a small gathering of people and a stage.

Beneath the subway tracks.

The stage.

I had stumbled upon a small concert of local musicians!  Performances ranged from DJs to acoustic, from rap to hip hop.  I didn't have anywhere I needed to be, so I sat and stayed for a while.  The stage sparkled with Christmas lights and a cozy fire was projected on a make shift hearth. There were fire-pit roasted potatoes and mulled wine being passed through the crowd for everyone to enjoy. 

And although I couldn't understand much of what was being said/sung or who was performing or what this was all for... I loved it.  There is just something so joyous about sharing in live music.

Here are videos of two of my favorite performances.  This first is of a group called Ska Wakers.  They are usually a seven piece ska band, but not all of the members were present. Instuments used were a guitar, a trumpet, a melodica, and a cajonTheir music was super groovy.


The next video is of a guitar duo.  I was instantly captivated by their resounding vocals (this video doesn't do them justice) and folksy tunes.  Also each of them played a harmonica and kazoo, respectively. Unfortunately, I don't know what their names were, so I have no idea how to find them again :(  

Ah well, I am happy for the memory they gave me any way.



What an abundance of joy and beauty this city holds!

No comments:

Post a Comment