Thursday, February 27, 2014

My Cambodian Grandmother

During the Vipassana course, there were over 70 women participating, with a vast majority being elderly Cambodian nationals. One woman particularly stood out to me during the 10 days. Even though we were not allowed to talk to or make any sort of contact with one another, I would notice her walking or at meal time. I couldn't tell you what it was. She was just so cute and happy! I was just drawn to her like the force of gravity. Sometimes you have that kind of connection with people, without exchanging a single word.

On the 10th and final day when we were allowed to talk, to my surprise, she was the first person to come up and start a conversation. She didn't speak a word of English. She held my arm and it was the first human touch I had received in the past 9 days. The only thing I could do was smile, bowing and thanking her for her kind attention towards me. As I left, I was so touched that I wanted to do something nice for her. We were taking the same bus back to Siem Reap the next day, so I thought of perhaps buying her ticket for her. 

She quickly outmatched me in thoughtfulness.

That same day during dinner, she again caught me by the arm, this time pulling me into her chair. As I sat down, she reached into her pocket and pulled out 10 US dollars and 1000 Cambodian Riels. She placed it in my hand and was adamant that I take it. Her generosity brought be to tears. In turn, I gave her one of the bracelets I was wearing from Korea as something to remember me by.

The next day we were on the same bus headed to Siem Reap along with others from our course. During every break she would buy me a snacks.  She even ordered and paid for my lunch.  She was taking such good care of me. And why? I was a stranger from a different land, with a different language, and in a different place in my life. Yet I think she felt the same unexplainable connection to me as I did to her. It's love, really. And that kind of generosity and compassion she shared with me is something I hope to cultivate in myself. I don't even really know her name, but she is someone who I admire so much and certainly someone I will never forget.

I want to be just like her when I grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment