Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A Day at Yoga School

A day in the life of a yogi aspirant at Rishikesh Yogpeeth.

05:00 am - Wake Up
Greet the day before the sun does!

05:30 to 6:30 am - Meditation
The hour long morning meditation sessions were something I did for my own practice. I made a commitment to myself to meditate an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening for the 6 weeks I was here. Lucky for me, another Vipassana meditator was in my course, so we were able to having sittings together.

06:30 to 07:00 am - Herbal Tea and Nasal Cleansing
At first the thought of using a Neti pot actually scared me! But as I learned more and more throughout the course there's only one thing to do about your fears: face them.  They're really not as bad as you'd imagine.

The magic of starting my day with a Neti Pot. My life is forever changed.

07:00 - 9:15 am - Kriya/Pranayama/Mantra/Asana
Most days we started with about 45 minutes of pranayama (breathing techniques) and mantra chanting, before getting into asana practice. The classes proved to be challenging phyisically and mentally, especially with week after week wearing on us. Fridays were our Kriya days, which I'll explain more of in a future post.


Anna and Kim discussing poses after asana class.

09:30 am - Breakfast 
Breakfast was similar every morning. A huge selection of fruits accompanied by either porridge, toast, rice, etc.

All you can eat fresh fruit in the mornings!!! I could eat papayas everyday!

10:30 to 11:30 am - Anatomy Lecture
11:45 to 12:45 pm - Philosophy/Psychology/Therapy Lecture

I absolutely loved these classes. I gained a deeper understanding of how the techniques of yoga work holistically to balance body, mind, and spirit. 

My "desk"

Our class set up for lecture.

Lecture with Roshan

1:00 pm - Lunch
All meals were vegetarian.  Lunch usually consisted of dhal, rice, and steamed vegetables. After lunch, we had a few hours of precious free time!


These potatoes were always a big hit!

3:00 to 4:00 pm - Self Study
Before our second asana class, there was a self study hour which I used to work on assignments. During this time, you could usually find me at the Health Food Cafe with my notes at a coconut honey chai.

I'm a student again!

4:30 to 6:30 pm - Asana/Pranyama
The second asana class was taught by a different teacher and primarily focused on postures. We were in asana class a total of 4 hours each day, which does take a toll on the body. My muscles were sore and I felt as if I was LOSING flexibility. My teacher reassured me that this would all chance one I got proper rest.  He even agreed that we were practicing asanas too much!

6:45 pm - Dinner 
Dinner was taken in silence. We usually had a soup, chapati, and some curry dish.

7:45 to 8:45 pm - Meditation

9:30 pm - Lights Out
My evenings were spent winding down, reflecting in my journal and relaxing with a book.


We were in class Monday through Saturday with Sundays as our free day. Each day brought it's own unique challenges and successes. Failures and insight. And when I look back on this time, I'll know that this has been a remarkable 6 weeks of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment